* To give your child to eat every 3-4 hrs.
* Do not skip meals or miss meals.
plenty of starchy foods:- Include starch portion at each meal
for e.g. rice, Chapatti, paratha, bread, poha (rice flakes), Suji
(rava), dahlia (broken wheat).
Eat less fat:
* To avoid too much fried foods
* Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Regular physical activity.
- It is important to continue to take your insulin or diabetes tablets when you are ill even if you lose your appetite.
What should I eat when I am not feeling well?
If you can not manage to eat normal meals make sure you eat or drink some carbohydrate containing foods or drink regularly throughout the day. You may need to eat small amounts every hour or two, especially if your blood glucose is low.
Carbohydrate is contained in starches (such as bread, biscuits, rice, pasta, cereals, potatoes), milk, yoghurt, fruit, fruit juice, sugar and sugary foods.
Below are some examples of carbohydrate containing foods you could try:-
- A glass (or small carton) of fruit juice
- A pot of yoghurt, rice pudding or mousse
- A glass of milk (OR milk shake, malted milk, or drinking chocolate)
- A glass of Complan
- A bowl of ice cream
- A glass of lemonade
- A mug of soup
- A slice of toast
Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
|Always remember: When going on a trip or holiday to take copy of the diabetes record card.|
Last updated on 1-07-2003