Hematology - Hematological problems
Under Category :  Hematological problems
Posted By :  Dr.  SUNDEEP NIGAM
Posted On : 9/22/2013 3:59 AM
splenomegaly with pancytopenia with fever ?
a 7 yrs old girl having high grade fever for 7 days , mod splenomegaly present, usg shows mild ascitis, hb 7, tlc 2500, platlet 35000,mp, widal negative.what could be the d, d
 
You Have to Sign First To Give your Reply to This Forum.
Click here to Sign In

User Replies
Few more details needed here
Is there any rash,joint involvement ,muscle pain ..jaundice. lymph node..and the vitals
Out of the three categories of possibilities.. Infection likely to be possibility by 85 percent chance. connective tissue disorder 14 percent and malignancy 1 percent... I ll start the dissection from the last.
Why malignancy is least likely .. a, short duration , b. No pallor lymph node mentioned.. and free fluid in peritoneum is least likely { this argues for inflamation of peritoneum, portal pressure, hypoalbuminemia , None of these are common in malignancy
Why chance of connective tissue disorder less. ...........Of course long fever. , ascitis and low count of leucocyte and platelets one possibility to be considered is SLE..But not much points to support ,, 7years a bit un usual . We ll keep that possibility in mind , if other causes ruled out and fever persists. Here CRP, ESR should have been mentioned
Of course the main possibility is infection .. Out of the infections two major ones.in the context of low counts..1. Typhoid 2. Dengue..
In this case most likely dengue....
Typhoid is a bit unusual to have this low platelet....still it is better to repeat widal and do culture.
Other infections like tuberculosis and lepto are less likely to lead to this low count even though clinical possibilty to be entertained..
Always better to take a peripheral smear as the spleen is a bit larger.. But the abscence of pallor makes malaria a bit unusual ..
Dr. PURUSHOTHAMAN says,
10/27/2013 9:47:22 AM



Disclaimer: The information given by www.pediatriconcall.com is provided by medical and paramedical & Health providers voluntarily for display & is meant only for informational purpose. The site does not guarantee the accuracy or authenticity of the information. Use of any information is solely at the user's own risk. The appearance of advertisement or product information in the various section in the website does not constitute an endorsement or approval by Pediatric Oncall of the quality or value of the said product or of claims made by its manufacturer.